02 August, 2010

Day two of $2

If you read yesterdays post you can catch up with what's going on, but basically, I am taking the $2/day challenge. The first obstacle of the day came at breakfast. Never a good start. But I realised, I really dislike oats. It was the cheapest breakfast option and I am certain I will adjust my taste buds by the end of the week, but for today, I went without and waited till my ricey goodness lunch.

So the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers' is taking on a whole new meaning for me. Sure, when you are hungry enough, you are grateful for anything. But there is less joy in the receiving.

Perhaps we can think about that when we are making up our food parcels to give away. We can't change what we have to give, but we might need to adjust our attitude a little. I can understand why some people don't jump for joy when they are given their parcel of beans and canned soup. Sure, it's better than nothing, but still nothing to get excited about. So perhaps we need to expect less gratitude? And maybe we need to be more humble in our giving and acknowledge our failure to deliver greater things. Perhaps a sharing of their despair may mean more than an attempt to bring joy with bland food.

But maybe I'm just hungry and talking gibberish :-)
More tomorrow,
gen

No comments: