More information from the UN global health conference:
- One billion people do not have access to adequate and appropriate food.
- 2.6 billion people around the world lack access to an improved sanitation facility.
- 8 out of 10 people who are without access to safe drinking water live in rural areas.
- Almost 9 million children die before the age of five, uncounted more have preventable disabilities.
- At least 340000 women die each year of pregnancy related causes, including the lack of trained health care professionals during childbirth.
- Millions of people die prematurely of non communicable diseases, as well as TB, malaria and complications of Aids every year.
- An estimated 420 million people in developing countries have a disability; 267 million world wide have preventable visual impairment.
- Human induced environmental degradation causes short and long term health threats including climate change.
Tomorrows blog will give us an idea as to what the UN want us to do. But until then, pray!
And wow, while typing this, I just witnessed Reverend Tim Costello making an unrehearsed plea to help Pakistan. Very inspiring. He calls for a debt moratorium while they deal with the current crisis crippling their nation.