26 April, 2013

Divisional Social Justice Coordinators

Northern Victoria Division

Name: Alexis Mapleback

Appointments: Assistant Corp Officer, Eaglehawk

Favourite place to holiday: Sri Lanka

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why? I would be able to teleport. Travelling just takes up too much time, I would love to be able to snap my fingers and be wherever I want.

Why do you think social justice is important? Social Justice is important because it is about us, you and me! These aren't just issues that we can casually sweep under the rug and they will go away, they are issues that if not dealt with, will impact on us all. Too long have we ignored other people's suffering, it's time we as a people said enough is enough. I know I want to be able to look my kids in the eye and tell them I made a difference and had the guts to change the things I could to help others.

What injustices do you see in the area of Eaglehawk? We in regional victoria are confronted with lots of issues surrounding women, eg. teenage pregnancy is at scarily high levels here and no one knows what to do about it, and the hypersexualisation of children are of real concern.

What is an injustice that is particularly close to your heart? Human Trafficking is something that my heart has recently not been letting me escape from. The fact that there are more slaves in our world today than at any other point in our history astounds and saddens me. Everyday people are being sold into a life they may never escape. At the moment I am trying to beome as aware as possible about the statistics and situations and hope so that one day soon I can report I am making a change and difference.

 Contact: (03) 5446 8135



South Australia Division

Beverley Demopoulos (Major)
Court Chaplain | Divisional Social Justice Coordinator
0400887104
beverley.demopoulos@aus.salvationarmy.org

No comments: